Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Spirit

I really have time to write a little bit tonight (finals are coming up…I’ll use that as my excuse for not having posted, and the likely infrequent postings over the next few weeks) so here we go.

This past weekend we traveled to Northern Ghana staying in Tamale, and visiting both Bolgatanga and Paga. We learned about Islam and were able to visit a Mosque, because there is a prominent Muslim community in the northern region.

 I don’t really remember in what order all of this occurred, so I’m just going to skip around as I see fit/recall.  We went to see a clinic run by Dr. Abdallah; possibly the most amazing man I’ve ever met. He’s a Ghanaian, and was trained to be a doctor in the U.S., but came back to practice (a rarity, I assure you – brain drain) in the relatively poor northern part of the country. He runs a free clinic treating malaria, fistulas, hernias, leprosy and pretty much whatever else he can. He doesn’t offer maternal or pediatric care, because that is provided for free by the government. He does however, do C-Sections (not covered by the government), and any other operation that comes his way. He runs an outpatient clinic, has an in-patient ward/bungalow neighborhood where the ill AND their families can stay for the duration of the illness, and also offers social support for HIV/AIDS patients. He is able to do preliminary testing for HIV/AIDS, but then refers patients to a government hospital for medication.  This is all pretty amazing, right? Yeah, we think so too – but it gets better. First of all, preference is given to patients that are the most destitute, poor and out-casted – noble indeed. Second, he has housing available for “destitutes”. Third he feeds the poor, and whoever needs food, especially HIV/AIDS patients, Fourth, he distributes clothing to those in need. Five he runs a microfinance program supporting local women. Incredible right? There’s more. Many of his staff are untrained, some even illiterate – he teaches men and women to do a certain job, or they figure it out, and then they stay there and work as nurses or surgical assistants – this is not that uncommon in Africa in general, especially in not-for-profit hospitals -  obviously there is a lot less regulation, especially for NGOs here. Also – he never solicits funds. This man is awesomely humble and has the biggest smile, but he doesn’t solicit funds. He believes in, and has been thus far entirely supported by ‘divine intervention’.  Though faith is very important to the Doctor, he makes it clear that there isn’t any expectation or attempt at conversion or pressure from one religion or another. He has Christian, Arabic and even Jewish (not common in Ghana) sayings around the buildings – he said they welcomed any faith with respect.

He told us the story of a time when his wife said they were out of food and wouldn’t have any to feed the people. He said that it would work out, or it was God saying they should rest from cooking food for a while. That same day an woman handed him a check for enough money to feed everyone for a month – he said this happens all the time – that donations come in just when they are most needed. Like I said – absolutely incredible man.

Later that day ( I think) we went to a widow’s community. Widows who refuse to be married to their dead husband’s brothers are essentially excommunicated along with their children. This group of women and children in particular weave baskets to survive. They were so welcoming and cheerful. We had a great afternoon, playing with the kiddos, watching them weave, learning to weave a little, dancing, singing and buying baskets. Great fun.

Spirit. That’s what comes to mind in describing Dr.Abdallah and the widows in that community. Strenght of spirit. They all faced immense hardships, emotional and physical, but they had a smile and a willing heart. I was moved by the happiness and air of barreling right on through hardship. I’m going to remember that sense of movement the next time I face a road block – nothing is impossible. There is always a way to be happy, or at least to put a smile on, or find the peace in a moment. It may not be easy, but that’s why it takes a strong spirit.
I’m going to try to keep writing more. As for pictures, I’m really quite bad about them – I’m going to make up for it with a bangin slideshow and a bunch of facebook albums (which I’ll link here or upload to photobucket for public view)when I return to an internet connection that cooperates. So, please be patient. I’m coming. (ß this is a Ghanaian phrase that gets muttered or yelled (depending on the circumstance) that really means “I’m walking away now, as I’m speaking, but I’ll be coming back in a little bit”)
I’m going to do some homework and head to sleep (these posting times aren’t correct, if you haven’t figured that out, but I don't really know how to change them, and I'm vastly unconcerned about it), but I do apologize for the fairly long hiatus - with any luck I'll be able to post regularly for a little bit.

:)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Peanut,
    What a wonderful example of faith and compassion. I'm not surprised Dr. Abdallah captured your respect and attention as you have a heart for the needs of others, especially medical needs. I remember many conversations about providing for the needs of the extreme poor. This trip seems far more tame than others in recent weeks...thanks, I needed the break:)
    love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Widows who refuse to be married to their dead husband’s brothers are essentially excommunicated along with their children." - horrid.

    ReplyDelete